Saturday 16 October 2010

Background and Proposal

I am from Shanxi Province of China and have studied painting for many years throughout my childhood. At the beginning, i was forced to learn fine art by my father since i am not patient enough to keep doing one thing for a long time. So it was hard for me to spend several hours for finishing a piece of paint. However, i was gradually interested in art as i was attracted by colorful world which i could record the landscape using pens and brushes. However it is different from the photography. The painting is subjective which according to the personal comprehension and understanding. Different individuals use different colors.

When i was 20 i studied at Multimedia Department in Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts which was one of the most important choices in my life. I focused on 3D animation on my subject as i can make anything come to truth and give it life. It was amazing. During that period I had awarded in some animation competitions and the works were showed on CCTV-6 Movie channel in China. Also I have participated in writing the parts of lighting design, materials and textures in “XSI/ Softimage Technology” which was published by Chinese Electronic Industry Press. At the forth year I was the only person selected to 11th Chinese Art Exhibition in Tianjin city in 2009. Finally i was graduated and obtained the Bachelor Degree as the first in my department in 2008.

My dream is to be an animation director in the future. so i came to Nottingham Trent University to learn MA Puppetry and Digital Animation FT for my career. It is definitely difficult for me. Since animation is an integrated art form including paintings, movies, digital media, photography, music, literature as well as many other kinds of art forms. So I have to get relatively wider knowledge and comprehensive theory to support creation especially in visual language, like color of images, camera angle, camera movement as well as lighting design as animation is a kind of video art based on visual language. They are what i will develop and focus on in my future master's project. 


For instance, in my country, Kaige Chen, Yimou Zhang, Changwei Gu are three most famous movie directors whose representative products are " Farewell, My Concubine", " Hero", " The peacock" separately. Moreover Yimou Zhang was also the director of The 29th Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008 who gave us an unprecedented visual regale. Previously he was just a cameraman worked for Kaige Chen and when Yimou became a director, Changwei Gu made camera shooting for him. Obvioulsy, to be proficient in visual language is the decisive factor of being a director. They can make the audiences comfortably to understand story line and create some artistic sublimation to implicitly express their thoughts.


In order to improve what I have mentioned above I need to watch more films and animations to understand as well as analysis why directors use such visual styles and how they achieve. Moreover do more practices on color paintings not only i can collect materials for my creation but also improve both aesthetic standards and art accomplishments. Now I am planning for a new animation and I will achieve my proposal through hard effort. Finally I look forward to finishing my master subject successfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment